The Beach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ A DAY AT A TIME ~

The Beach :: Beach :: AA

Go down

~ A DAY AT A TIME ~  Empty ~ A DAY AT A TIME ~

Post  DHF Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:08 am

Reflection for the Day

I'll begin today with prayer—prayer in my heart, prayer in my mind, and words of prayer on my lips. Through prayer, I'll stay tuned to God today, reaching forward to become that to which I aspire. Prayer will redirect my mind, helping me rise in consciousness to the point where I realize that there's no separation between God and me. As I let the power of God flow through me, all limitations will fall away. Do I know that nothing can overcome the power of God?

Today I Pray

Today may I offer to my Higher Power a constant power, not just a "once-in-the-morning- does-it" kind. May I think of my Higher Power at coffee breaks, lunch, tea time, during a quiet evening—and at all times in between. May my consciousness expand and erase the lines of separation, so that the Power is a part of me and I am a part of the Power.

Today I Will Remember

To live an all-day prayer.

© 1989 by Hazelden Foundation

DHF
Admin

https://whalestail.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

~ A DAY AT A TIME ~  Empty Re: ~ A DAY AT A TIME ~

Post  DHF Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:09 am

~ A DAY AT A TIME ~ (Daily Reflections for Recovering People)

Reflection for the Day

"During acute depression," wrote AA cofounder Bill W., "avoid trying to set your whole life in order at once. If you take on assignments so heavy that you are sure to fail in them at the moment, then you are allowing yourself to be tricked by your unconscious. Thus you will continue to make sure of your failure, and when it comes you will have another alibi for still more retreat into depression. In short, the 'all or nothing' attitude is a most destructive one. It is best to begin with whatever the irreducible minimums of activity are. Then work for an enlargement of these—day by day." When I'm discouraged by setbacks, am I willing to start over?

Today I Pray

When I am immobilized by depression, may I set small, reasonable goals—as miniature perhaps as saying hello to a child, washing my own coffee cup, neatening my desk, offering a short prayer. May I scrap my own script for failure, which sets me up for deeper depression.

Today I Will Remember

Goals set too high set me back.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:43 pm

Reflection for the Day

The longer I'm in the Program and the longer I try to practice its principles in all my affairs, the less frequently I become morose and depressed. Perhaps, too, there's something to that cynical old saying, "Blessed is he that expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed, but instead will be delighted daily by new and fresh evidence of the love of God and the friendliness of men and women." Does someone, somewhere, need me today? Will I look for that person and try to share what I've been given in the Program?

Today I Pray

May I be utterly grateful to God for lifting my depression. May I know that my depression will always lighten if I do not expect too much. May I know that the warmth of friends can fill the cold hollow of despair. May I give my warmth to someone else.

Today I Will Remember

To look for someone to share with.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:25 pm

~ ONE DAY AT A TIME IN AL-ANON ~

Again I ask myself the same question as yesterday's: "What am I doing with what I have?" This query can be applied in many ways. Take, for instance, the faculty of being able to remember. If I have been given the gift of a good, clear memory, how do I use it?

It isn't likely that God conferred this gift on me for the purpose of dredging up old wrongs, injured feelings, futile regrets and personal sufferings. That would clearly be a misuse of His gift, when everyone has so many pleasant and satisfying things to remember.

Today’s Reminder

What am I doing with this precious ability to recall what happened in the past? If I use it to remember enjoyments and interesting experiences, it will give me a saving perspective on the problems I am encountering in the here and now. I can also use the gift of memory for storing up today's blessings to tide me over future woes.

"Let not thy thoughts dwell upon the days of thy sorrows, but rather on those which brought thee brightness and peace."

© Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc. 1968, 1972, 1973

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:51 pm

Reflection for the Day

Years ago, Dr. Alfred Adler prescribed this remedy for depression to a patient: "You can be healed if every day you begin the first thing in the morning to consider how you can bring a real joy to someone else. If you can stick to this for two weeks, you will no longer need therapy." Adler's "prescription," of course, is not much different from the suggestion that we work more intensively the Program's Twelve Steps to rid ourselves of depression. When I am depressed, do I keep my feelings to myself ? Or do I do what friends in the Program have suggested that I do?

Today I Pray

May I turn myself inside out, air out the depression which has been closeted inside me, replace it with the comfortable feeling that I am cared about by real friends, then pass along that comfort to others caught in the same despair.

Today I Will Remember

The only real despair is loneliness.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:54 pm

Reflection for the Day

"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened," wrote Robert Louis Stevenson, "but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

In the Program we hear many warnings against harboring resentments, and rare is the person who doesn't occasionally yield to resentment when he feels wronged. We must remember that we have no room for resentment in our new way of life. Rather than exhausting myself by fighting resentment with grim determination, I can reason it out of existence by uncovering its cause with a quiet mind. Will I try to believe that the best antidote for resentment is the continual expression of gratitude?

Today I Pray

Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Praise God for our human sensitivity which, although it can feel the smallest, pin-prick hurts, can also feel the warmth of a smile. Praise God for our human insight which can peel the wraps from our resentments and expose them for what they are.

Today I Will Remember

I am grateful for feelings.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Reflection for the Day

We hear often in the Program that pain is the touchstone of spiritual progress. We eventually realize that just as the pains of alcoholism had to come before sobriety, emotional turmoil comes before serenity. We no longer commiserate with all people who suffer, but only with those who suffer in ignorance—those who don't understand the purpose and ultimate utility of pain. In Proust's words, "To goodness and wisdom we make only promises; pain we obey." Do I believe that pain is God's way of trying to get my attention?

Today I Pray

May I understand the value of pain in my life, especially if I am headed breakneck down a track of self-destruction. May I know that pain is God's way of flagging down the train I'm on before it gets to a bridge wash-out. May I be thankful that pain forced me to throw the switch in time.

Today I Will Remember

I can thank God for restoring my feelings.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:53 pm

~ ONE DAY AT A TIME ~

ABSTINENCE

“It’s a funny thing about life.
If you refuse to settle for anything less than the best,
that’s what it will give you.”

~ W. Somerset Maugham ~

When I first came to program, I was in the diet mentality. After a few “slips” I had to face the facts: I was in relapse, and I had never really surrendered. With the help of the program, I gained an increasing awareness of this progressive disease. Did I really want to recover? Was I really willing to go to any lengths to find relief from compulsive eating?

When I finally surrendered the food and began working the Steps, I didn’t know what to expect. All I knew was that food could no longer be the answer. With seven months’ abstinence, I now know that I have a long way to go in my recovery. However, one day at a time, I am willing to find my answers in the Steps instead of in the food. Thank you, Higher Power!

One day at a time...

I choose abstinence and will listen for God’s calling in my life. God’s will for me is the safest and most loving place I can be, and I know God wants me to live a life free from the compulsion to eat.

~ Christine S ~

http://recovery.hiwaay.net/meditations/september.html

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:28 pm

Reflection for the Day

We learn from others in the Program that the best way to deal with painful situations is to meet them head on, to deal with them honestly and realistically, and to try to learn from them and use them as springboards for growth. Through the Program and our contact with a Higher Power, we can find the courage to use pain for triumphant growth. Will I believe that whatever pain I experience is a small price to pay for the joy of becoming the person I was always meant to be?

Today I Pray

May my Higher Power give me the courage I need to stop running away from painful situations. The chemical was my escape hatch, the trap door I counted on to swallow me when life became too monstrous or villainous to bear. Now that I have locked that door, may I face pain and learn from it.

Today I Will Remember

My compulsion: a trap door—and a trap.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:26 am

Reflection for the Day

It's still not exactly a "piece of cake" for me to accept today's occasional pain and anxiety with any great degree of serenity, but I'm increasingly able to be thankful for a certain amount of pain. In the Program, we find the willingness to do this by going over the lessons learned from past sufferings—lessons which have led to the blessings we now enjoy. We can remember how the agonies of addiction—and the pain of rebellion and bruised pride—have often led us to God's grace, and thus to new freedom. Have I thanked my Higher Power for the miracle of my life this day?

Today I Pray

When I was helpless, I asked God for help. When I was hopeless, I reached out for His hope. When I was powerless over my addiction, I asked to share His power. Now I can honestly thank God that I was helpless, hopeless, and powerless, because I have seen a miracle.

Today I Will Remember

From powerless highs to a Higher Power.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:15 am

Reflection for the Day

"When a man has reached a condition in which he believed that a thing must happen when he does not wish it, and that which he wishes to happen can never be, this is really the state called desperation," wrote Schopenhauer. The very real pain of emotional difficulties is sometimes very hard to take while we're trying to maintain sobriety. Yet we learn, in time, that overcoming such problems is the real test of the Program's way of living. Do I believe that adversity gives me more opportunity to grow than does comfort or success?

Today I Pray

May I believe firmly that God, in His infinite wisdom, does not send me those occasional moments of emotional stress in order to tease my sobriety, but to challenge me to grow in my control and my conviction. May I learn not to be afraid of emotional summits and canyons, for the Program has outfitted me for all kinds of terrain.

Today I Will Remember

From powerless highs to a Higher Power.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:37 am

Reflection for the Day

For a considerable period of time after I reached the Program, I let things I couldn't do keep me from doing the things I could. If I was bothered by what a speaker or other people said, I retreated, sulking, into my shell. Now, instead of being annoyed or defensive when someone strikes a raw nerve, I try to welcome it—because it allows me to work on my attitudes and perceptions of God, self, other people, and my life situation. We may no longer have active addictions, but we all certainly have an active thinking problem. Am I willing to grow—and grow up?

Today I Pray

May God give me courage to test my new wings—even a feather at a time. May I not wait to be entirely whole before I re-enter the world of everyday opportunity, for recovery is ongoing and growth comes through challenges. May I no longer make desperate stabs at perfection, but keep my aims in sight and develop as I live—a day at a time.

Today I Will Remember

Things I can't do should not get in the way of things I can.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:48 am

Reflection for the Day

At the suggestion of a long-timer in the Program, I began taking "recovery inventories” periodically. The results showed me—clearly and unmistakably—that the promises of the Program have been true for me. I am not the sick person I was in years past; I am no longer bankrupt in all areas; I have a new life and a path to follow, and I'm at peace with myself most of the time. And that's a far cry from the time in my life when I dreaded facing each new day. Perhaps we should all write recovery inventories from time to time, showing how the Program is working for each of us. fust for today, will I try to sow faith where there is fear?

Today I Pray

God, let me compare my new life with the old one—just to see how things have changed for me. May I make progress reports for myself now and then—and for those who are newer to the Program. May these reports be—hearten- ingly—about "what I am doing" rather than—smugly—about "what I have done."

Today I Will Remember

Has the Program kept its promise? Have I kept mine?

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Reflection for the Day

In times past, even as adults, many of us childishly insisted that people protect, defend, and care for us. We acted as if the world owed us a living. And then, when the people we most loved became fed up, pushing us aside or perhaps abandoning us completely, we were bewildered. We couldn't see that our overdependence on people was unsuccessful because all human beings are fallible; even the best of them will sometimes let us down, especially when our demands are unreasonable. Today, in contrast, we rely upon God, counting on Him rather than on ourselves or other people. Am I trying to do as I think God would have me do, trusting the outcome of His will for me?

Today I Pray

May I know, from the dependencies of my past, that I am a dependent person. I depended on alcohol, mood-altering chemicals, food, or other addictive pursuits. I was inclined to hang on other people, depending on them for more than they could give. May I, at last, switch from these adolescent dependencies to a mature, healthy dependency on my Higher Power.

Today I Will Remember

I have more than one dependency.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:04 am

Reflection for the Day

As we "keep coming back" to meetings, we're able to recognize those people who have an abundance of serenity. We are drawn to such people. To our surprise, we sometimes find that those who seem most grateful for today's blessings are the very ones who have the most serious and continuing problems at home or at work. Yet they have the courage to turn away from such problems, actively seeking to learn and help others in the Program. How have they gotten this serenity? It must be because they depend less on themselves and their own limited resources—and more on a Power greater than themselves in whom they have confidence. Am I acquiring the gift of serenity? Have my actions begun to reflect my inner faith?

Today I Pray

May I never cease to be awed by the serenity I see in others in my group—a serenity which manifests their comfortable surrender to a Higher Power. May I learn from them that peace of mind is possible even in the thick of trouble. May I, too, learn that I need to pull back from my problems now and then and draw upon the God-provided pool of serenity within myself.

Today I Will Remember

Serenity is surrender to God's plan.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:58 am

Reflection for the Day

When I say the Serenity Prayer, sometimes over and over, I occasionally lose sight of the prayer's meaning even as I repeat its words. So I try to think of the meaning of each phrase as I say it, whether aloud or silently. As I concentrate on the meaning, my understanding grows, along with my capability to realize the difference between what I can change, and what I cannot. Do I see that most improvements in my life will come from changing my own attitudes and actions?

Today I Pray

May my Higher Power show me new and deeper meanings in the Serenity Prayer each time I say it. As I apply it to my life's situations and relationships, may its truth be underlined for me again and again. May I realize that serenity, courage, and wisdom are all that I need to cope with value unless they grow out of my trust in a Higher Power.

Today I Will Remember

God's formula for living: serenity, courage, and wisdom.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:53 am

Reflection for the Day

Not in my wildest dreams could I have imagined the rewards that would be mine when I first contemplated turning my life and will over to the care of God as I understand Him. Now I can rejoice in the blessing of my own recovery, as well as the recoveries of countless others who have found hope and a new way of life in the Program. After all the years of waste and terror, I realize today that God has always been on my side and at my side. Isn't my clearer understanding of God's will one of the best things that has happened to me?

Today I Pray

May I be thankful for the blessed contrast between the way my life used to be (Part I) and the way it is now (Part II). In Part I, I was the practicing addict, adrift among my fears and delusions. In Part II, I am the recovering addict, rediscovering my emotions, accepting my responsibilities, learning what the real world has to offer without the contrast, I could never feel the joy I know today or sense the peaceful nearness of my Higher Power.

Today I Will Remember

I am grateful for such contrast.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Reflection for the Day

When I'm motivated by pride—by bondage of self—I become partly or even wholly blind to my liabilities and shortcomings. At that point, the last thing I need is comfort. Instead, I need an understanding friend in the Program—one who knows where I'm at—a friend who'll unhesitatingly chop a hole through the wall my ego has built so that the light of reason can once again shine through. Do I take time to review my progress, to spot-check myself on a daily basis, and to promptly try to remedy my wrongs?

Today I Pray

God I pray that the group—or just one friend—will be honest enough to see my slippery manifestations of pride and brave enough to tell me about them. My self-esteem was starved for so long, that with my first successes in the Program, it may swell to the gross proportions of self-satisfaction. May a view from outside myself give me a true picture of how I am handling the triumph of my sobriety—with humility or with pride.

Today I Will Remember

Self-esteem or self-satisfaction?

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Reflection for the Day

"We succeed in enterprises which demand the positive qualities we possess," wrote de Tocqueville, "but we excel in those which can also make use of our defects." We learn in the Program that our defects do have value—to the extent that we use them as the starting point for change and the pathway to better things. Fear can be a stepping stone to prudence, for example, as well as to respect for others. Fear can also help us turn away from hate and toward understanding. In the same way, pride can lead us toward the road of humility. Am I aware of my direction today? Do I care where I'm going?

Today I Pray

I pray that my Higher Power will show me how to use my defects in a positive way, because nothing—not even fear or selfishness or greed—is all bad. May I trust that every quality that leads me into trouble has a reverse side that can lead me out. Pride, for instance, can't puff itself up unduly without bursting and demonstrating that it is, in essence, only hot air. May I learn from my weaknesses.

Today I Will Remember

Good news out of bad.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down