The Beach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ KEEP IT SIMPLE ~

The Beach :: Beach :: AA

Go down

~ KEEP IT SIMPLE ~ Empty ~ KEEP IT SIMPLE ~

Post  DHF Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:58 am

~ KEEP IT SIMPLE ~ (Daily Meditations for Twelve-Step Beginnings and Renewal) ~

The saints are the sinners who kept going.

~ Robert Louis Stevenson ~

The saints are what our program calls the "winner." We're told to "stick" with the winners. Saints are just proven winners. They keep on believing in their Higher Power even when things get hard.

There will be times when we'll want to give up. We may want to stop going to meetings. We may want to get high. We may want to stop working the Steps.

To be winners in this program, we need to follow the example of the saints. This means we live a spiritual life. We need to keep on going. One day at a time.

Prayer for the Day:

I pray that I'll be a winner in this program. Higher Power, be with me in the easy times and the hard times. Help me keep going.

Action for the Day:

I'll list people who are winners in this program. I'll ask one of the how he or she keeps going in tough times.

Copyright © 1988 by Hazelden Foundation

DHF
Admin

https://whalestail.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

~ KEEP IT SIMPLE ~ Empty Re: ~ KEEP IT SIMPLE ~

Post  DHF Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:06 am

Addiction is answering the spiritual calling inside us by going to the wrong address.

~ Chris Ringer ~

Where can we go to feel better, to feel spiritually alive? Not to alcohol or other drugs. Not to compulsive spending, gambling, or sex. Not to overeating or overworking. When we turn to these things to feel better, we're trading one addiction for another, we're going to the "wrong address."

What is the right address? Our inner needs. Our Higher Power. Our recovery program. Our friends. Soon, we become part of a network of "safe addresses."

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, keep me on the right path. I don't want to go to the wrong address anymore.

Action for the Day:

Today, I'll make sure I have at least three "right address" in my wallet or purse. I'll list names and day and evening phone numbers of people who will love and help.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:38 pm

One of the best ways to persuade others is with your ears—by listening to them.

~ Dean Rusk ~

We hate being told what to think. We like to make up our own minds. It helps to talk things out with another person who, listens to us. Someone who care what we think.

We can give this respect to others. We can listen their point of view. We can try to understand them and care about what they think.

When we do this, others start to care what we think too. We share ideas. The ideas get a little more clear. They change a little. We get a little closer to agreement. We both feel good.

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, help me know when to listen and when to talk today. Work for me and though me. Thanks.

Action for the Day:

Today, I'll look for chances to listen to others when I really want to talk. I'll say, "Tell me more about that." And I'll listen.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:32 pm

If you want a thing done "right," you have to do it yourself.

~ Anonymous ~

We addicts can be very picky. We think there's only one way to do things. It's our way, but we call it the right way. When we think like this, three things happen. First, we put down other people. Second, we end up doing all the work. Third, everyone feels bad. The other person feels hurt that we don't respect him or her. And we feel angry because we "had" to do all the work.

We need to know that there are many ways to do things. It's okay when others don't do things our way. Their way probably works just fine for them. If they want your advice they'll ask for it.

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, help me accept other people and their ways.

Action for the Day:

Today, I'll watch how other people do things. Maybe I'll learn a better way to do some things.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:42 pm

People seldom improve when they have no model but themselves to copy.

~ Oliver Goldsmith ~

If we had to get well by ourselves, we'd be in trouble. We've already tried this route. We need to learn a new way to live, not the old way we already know.

That's why we have sponsors in Twelve Step programs. Sponsors are one of the best things about our recovery. We pick people who are happy and doing well in recovery. Then we copy them. We copy them because sponsors are special people who have what we want. They have sobriety. They have happiness. They have common sense. They have peace and serenity. And they will help us get those things too. We learn a new way to live from them.

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, help me pick good models. Help me copy what works for them.

Action for the Day:

If I don't have a sponsor now, I'll work today on getting one.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:25 pm

Here's my Golden Rule: Be fair with others but then keep after them until they're fair with you.

~ Alan Alda ~

Often in our illness we were ashamed, so we let people take advantage of us. We acted as if we had no rights. In recovery, we work hard to be fair with others. And we deserve to be treated with fairness too. If people are mean to us, we talk with them about it. If people cheat us, we ask them to set it right. In recovery, we live by our human rights.

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, help me to stand for fairness. Help me respect myself and others.

Action for the Day:

Today, I'll list people who have wronged me. I will make plans to talk to those with whom I feel will listen. I will let love, not shame or fear, control my actions.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:23 am

When we look back, we realize that the things which came to us when we put ourselves in God's hands were better than anything we could have planned.

~ Alcoholics Anonymous ~

We can't control the present by looking into the future. We can only look back at the past. The past can teach us how to get more out of the present. But the past is to be learned from, not to be judged.

As we look back, we see the troubles caused by addiction. But we also see recovery. We see how our lives are better. We see our Higher Power's work in our lives. If we honestly look at our past, we learn.

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, help me learn from the past. With Your help, I'll stop judging my past, just as I wouldn't judge those who have gone before me.

Action for the Day:

Today, I'll remember my life before I got sober. Do I still hang on to attitudes or behaviors that might make me start to use alcohol and other drugs again?

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:13 am

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.

~ Mark Twain ~

Sometimes it does no good to try to "deal" with your feelings. For the moment, we're stuck. We can only see things one way. No matter what anyone says, we're closed up. For the moment. But this puts our sobriety at risk.

How do we stop self-pity? Focus on someone else. When we really want to help someone else be happy, we'll ask our Higher Power's help. Then things start to change, because our good deeds come back to us. Remember, service will always keep us sober.

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, sometimes I get stuck in my old ways. Help me change my focus at those times. Help me stay sober.

Action for the Day:

I will think of a time when I was stuck in bad feelings. How did I get out of that spot.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:33 am

One Day at a Time.

~ Program slogan ~

This slogan means we are to take with us only the joys and problems of the present day. We don't carry with us the mistakes of the days gone by. We have no room for them. We are to work at loving others today. Just today.

It's crazy for us to think we can handle more than one day at a time. During our illness, we lived everywhere but in the here and now. We looked to the future or punished ourselves with our past. One Day at a Time teaches us to go easy. It teaches us to focus on what really means anything to us: the here and now.

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, help me turn the slogans of my programs into a way of life. Help me to live life moment by moment, One Day at a Time.

Action for the Day:

Today, I'll practice living in the present. When I find myself living in the past or in the future, I'll bring myself back to today.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:46 am

To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves.

~ Will Durant ~

Sometimes we say bad things about others. When we do this, it makes us look bad too. Our friends worry what we might say about them behind their backs. They're afraid to trust us. We become known as gossips.

The things we say about other people tell a lot about us. We are kind or unkind. We gossip or we don't. This doesn't mean we have to say everyone is wonderful all the time. As we work our program to see ourselves better, we begin to see other people more clearly too. We see their strong points and their weak points. But we can know these things without gossiping about them.

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, help me see others clearly, and in their best light. Let me bring out the good in others.

Action for the Day:

Today, I'll list the people I'm closest to at work, school, and home. I'll think of how I talk about them to others. Am I kind?

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:43 pm

Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom.

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Honesty is the backbone of our recovery program. Honesty opens us up. It breaks down the walls we had built around our secret world. Those walls made a prison for us. But all of that is now changed. We are free.

Honesty has made us wise. We aren't sneaking drinks anymore. We don't have a stash to protect. People who didn't trust us now depend on our honesty. People who worked hard to avoid us, now seek us out. Self-honesty is the greatest gift we can give ourselves.

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, You are truth. I pray that I may not turn away from truth. I will not lie. My life depends on honesty.

Action For the Day:

For twenty or thirty minutes, I will think about how learning to be honest has changed my life.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:00 am

If you do not tell the truth about yourself, you cannot tell it about other people.

~ Virginia Woolf ~

Working the Twelve Steps helps us learn the truth. As we struggle with Step Four, we learn the truth about ourselves. We learn even more about ourselves by doing Steps Eight and Ten. When we admit the truth about ourselves, things come into focus. Big changes happen.

As a result, we can see other people more clearly. We see bad sides in people we thought were prefect. We see good sides in people we hated. We start to know that everyone has to work hard to find what's right for them. No one knows all the answers.

In short, we begin to trust others also who also are looking for the truth.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me clearly see myself and others.

Action for the Day

Today, I'll think about how doing Step Ten keeps me clear about what's going on in my life.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:56 am

May you live all the days of your life.

~ Jonathan Swift ~

The truth is, life hard. Accepting this fact will make it easier. Remember how well it worked in Step One? Once we admitted and that we were powerless over alcohol and other drugs, we were given the power to recover. It works the same with life's problems.

We can spend a lot of energy trying to avoid life's hardships. But our program teaches us to use the same energy to solve our problems. Problems are chances to better ourselves and become more spiritual. We have a choice: we can either use our energy to avoid problems, or we can face them. When we stop wasting energy, we start to feel more sure of ourselves.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, life is to be lived, both the easy and the hard parts. Help me face and learn from it all.

Action for the Day

I'll work at not complaining about how hard life is. I'll take the same energy and us it to solve problems I may face.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:10 pm

If God wanted us to be brave, why did he give us legs?

~ Marvin Kitman ~

Many of our problems are caused by taking an unwise stand. We end up being stubborn. We need the courage to know when to take a stand, and the wisdom to know when not to. Our program has taught us not to stand up to our drinking and other drug use, but to walk away from it. It beats us every time we stay around it. When we walk away we can get help. By walking away, we stay sober and we win.

Step Ten can help us learn when and where not to take a stand. If we take a stand just to be stubborn, we must surrender and admit this is wrong. That way, we learn how to take a stand for good reasons.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may stand for recovery. I pray that I’ll surrender when I’m just being stubborn.

Action for the Day

Today, I’ll list how I get stubborn. I’ll list what Steps help me to surrender to my Higher Power and to the program.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:18 pm

The universe is full of magical things waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

~ Eden Phillpots ~

How nice to have the fog lifted! Sobriety lets our wits grow sharper. We can go after our dreams and ideas. We can listen to music and sing. We are part of the magic of the universe. At times we may not feel very magical, but we are. Our spirits hold much magic. Sobriety is magic. We work at making the world a better place. In doing so, we get magical powers. Power that heals and comfort others. Powers to understand things that before we could not. Powers that let us see the world as we’ve never seen it. Enjoy the magic and use your powers wisely!

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, let Your magic enter and fill my heart.

Action for the Day

I’ll list four magical powers I have from being sober.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:57 am

What we don't live, we cannot teach others.

~ Day By Day ~

Remember - we don't carry the message to others until we get to Step Twelve. We must first learn to live in a sober way. Sobriety takes time. We have to stop using alcohol and other drugs, but this is only the start.

Just as it takes time to build a home, it takes time to build a new way of life. We talk with friends and sponsors about the Steps. We try using them in our lives. Then we talk about how the Steps work for us. We talk about where we get stuck with the Steps.

All this takes time. We aren't in a hurry. We have a lifetime ahead of us. Remember-the better we live our program, the better we help others.

Prayer for the day:

Higher Power, You'll let me know when I'm to carry the message. Until then, be with me as I build a new way of life, a spiritual way of life.

Action for the day:

I'll take time to think over where I'm with my program. I'll talk about it with a friend.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:00 pm

We are healed of a suffering only be experiencing it in full.

~ Marcel Proust ~

We must never forget our past. We need to remember the power that our illness has over us. Why? So we can remember how our recovery began. So we can remember we’re not cured. So we can tell our stories.

We must remember how we acted. Why? So we don’t act and think like addicts. Most of us had a poor relationships with friends, family, and ourselves. We need to remember how lonely we felt. That way, we’ll make recovery grow stronger One Day at a Time.

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, help me always remember how my illness almost destroyed me. Help me face the pain of these memories.

Action for the Day:

I will talk about my past life with those who support my recovery. I will tell them what it is that I must remember about my past.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:53 pm

One is happy as the result of one's own efforts.

~ George Sand ~

Happiness is not an accident. It comes from following the spiritual voice found in each of us. This isn't always easy. Sometimes, the voice tells us to do things we're afraid of. For Example, if we're lonely and the voice tells us to call someone on our phone list, we may make excuses to not do it. Again, the voice may say, "Just make the call. It will be okay." If we follow the voice, we will find happiness.

The spiritual voice inside us speaks of care and love. It will never tell us to hurt others or ourselves. It's our Higher Power's voice . It's what Step Eleven calls "conscious contact." If we follow this guiding voice, it will lead us to happiness.

Prayer for the Day:

I pray that I'll come to know my Higher Power by listening to the spiritual voice in me.

Action for the Day:

Today, I'll meditate and listen to my higher power gentle voice within.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:36 am

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

~ Edith Wharton ~

Our Higher Power is the candle. And our hearts, like a mirror, reflect a warm, loving glow.

But when we used alcohol and other drugs, we tired to be the candle. We wanted to have control. Many of us acted like this to hide how out of control we felt. We never thought we could be happy by admitting we were out of control.

In recovery, we accept that it’s okay to be the mirror. We accept that our Higher Power is the candle that guides us. We want to be the mirror that reflects how much our Higher Power loves us.

Prayer for the Day:

Higher Power, thank-you for the light and warmth You give me.

Action for the Day:

Tonight, I’ll light a candle and place it in front of a mirror. I’ll study how they work together to light the room.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:30 pm

If You Walk With Lame Men You'll soon Limp Yourself.

~ Seaman McManus ~

Before recovery, we kept company with people who were as sick as us, or worse. We got angry and made fun of people who were trying to improve their lives. They scared us. They were like mirrors that reflected how spiritually lost we were becoming.

Now we walk in the crowd we avoided. Now we have values. We have spiritual beliefs. Living up to these values and beliefs can be hard. We need to be around people who live by their values.

In recovery, we learn that we need others. Remember, the first word in Step One is we. We need good people in our lives. We need friends who will not tell us what we want to hear, but what we are doing wrong.

Prayer for the Day:

Sometimes I act like I need no one. Help me pick my friends wisely, for my life is at stake.

Action for the Day:

Today, I'll pick one friend, and we'll talk about how we can better help each other.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

The Beach :: Beach :: AA

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum