~ Daily Reflections ~

The Beach :: Beach :: AA

Go down

~ Daily Reflections ~

Post  DHF on Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:43 pm

~ DAILY REFLECTIONS ~

REPAIRING THE DAMAGE

Good judgment, a careful sense of timing courage and prudence—these are the qualities we shall need when we take Step Nine.

~ TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 83 ~

To make amends can be viewed two ways: first, that of repairing damage, for if I have damaged my neighbor's fence, I "make a mend," and that is a direct amend; the second way is by modifying my behavior, for if my actions have harmed someone, I make a daily effort to cause no further harm. I "mend my ways," and that is an indirect amend. Which is the best approach? The only right approach, provided that I am causing no further harm in so doing, is to do both. If harm is done, then I simply "mend my ways." To take action in this manner assures me of making honest amends.

Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services Inc.

DHF
Admin

View user profile http://whalestail.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ~ Daily Reflections ~

Post  DHF on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:39 pm

~ DAILY REFLECTIONS ~

WE STAND—OR FALL—TOGETHER

. . . no society of men and women ever had a more urgent need for continuous effectiveness and permanent unity. We alcoholics see that we must work together and hang together, else most of us will finally die alone.

~ ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 562 ~

Just as the Twelve Steps of A.A. are written in a specific sequence for a reason, so it is with the Twelve Traditions. The First Step and the First Tradition attempt to instill in me enough humility to allow me a chance at survival. Together they are the basic foundation upon which the Steps and Traditions that follow are built. It is a process of ego deflation which allows me to grow as an individual through the Steps, and as a contributing member of a group through the Traditions. Full acceptance of the First Tradition allows me to set aside personal ambitions, fears and anger when they are in conflict with the common good, thus permitting me to work with others for our mutual survival. Without Tradition One I stand little chance of maintaining the unity required to work with others effectively, and I also stand to lose the remaining Traditions, the Fellowship, and my life.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:08 am

~ DAILY REFLECTIONS ~

ACCEPTANCE

We admitted we couldn't lick alcohol with our own remaining resources, and so we accepted the further fact that dependence upon a Higher Power (if only our A.A group) could do this hitherto impossible job. The moment we were able to accept these facts fully, our release from the alcohol compulsion had begun.

~ AS BILL SEES IT, p. 109 ~

Freedom came to me only with my acceptance that I could turn my will and my life over to the care of my Higher Power, whom I call God. Serenity seeped into the chaos of my life when I accepted that what I was going through was life, and that God would help me through my difficulties— and much more, as well. Since then He has helped me through all of my difficulties! When I accept situations as they are, not as I wish them to be, then I can begin to grow and have serenity and peace of mind.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:34 am

~ DAILY REFLECTIONS ~

H.P. AS GUIDE

See to it that your relationship with Him is right, and great events will come to pass for you and countless others. This is the Great Fact for us.

~ ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 164 ~

Having a right relationship with God seemed to be an impossible order. My chaotic past had left me filled with guilt and remorse and I wondered how this "God business" could work. A.A. told me that I must turn my will and my life over to the care of God, as I understand Him. With nowhere else to turn, I went down on my knees and cried, "God, I can't do this. Please help me!" It was when I admit- ted my powerlessness that a glimmer of light began to touch my soul, and then a willingness emerged to let God control my life. With Him as my guide, great events began to happen, and I found the beginning of sobriety.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:01 am

~ DAILY REFLECTIONS ~

FIRST THINGS FIRST

Some of us have taken very hard knocks to learn this truth: Job or no job—wife or no wife—we simply do not stop drinking so long as we place dependence upon other people ahead of dependence on God.

~ ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 98 ~

Before coming to A.A., I always had excuses for taking a drink: "She said . . . ," "He said "I got fired yesterday," "I got a great job today." No area of my life could be good if I drank again. In sobriety my life gets better each day. I must always remember not to drink, to trust God, and to stay active in A.A. Am I putting anything before my sobriety, God, and A.A. today?

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:31 pm

~ DAILY REFLECTIONS ~

WITHOUT RESERVATION

When brimming with gratitude, one's heartbeat must surely result in outgoing love . . .

~ AS BILL SEES IT, p. 37 ~

While practicing service to others, if my successes give rise to grandiosity, I must reflect on what brought me to this point. What has been given joyfully, with love, must be passed on without reservation and without expectation. For as I grow, I find that no matter how much I give with love, I receive much more in spirit.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:53 am

~ DAILY REFLECTIONS ~

FACING OURSELVES

. . . and Fear says, "You dare not look!"

~ TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 49 ~

How often I avoided a task in my drinking days just because it appeared so large! Is it any wonder, even if I have been sober for some time, that I will act that same way when faced with what appears to be a monumental job, such as a searching and fearless moral inventory of myself? What I discover after I have arrived at the other side—when my inventory is completed—is that the illusion was greater than the reality. The fear of facing myself kept me at a standstill and, until I became willing to put pencil to paper, I was arresting my growth based on an intangible.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:50 am

~ DAILY REFLECTIONS ~

SELF-RESTRAINT

Our first objective will be the development of self-restraint.

~ TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 91 ~

My drive to work provides me with an opportunity for self- examination. One day while making this trip, I began to review my progress in sobriety, and was not happy with what I saw. I hoped that, as the work day progressed, I would forget these troublesome thoughts, but as one disappointment after another kept coming, my discontent only increased, and the pressures within me kept mounting.

I retreated to an isolated table in the lounge, and asked myself how I could make the most of the rest of the day. In the past, when things went wrong, I instinctively wanted to fight back. But during the short time I had been trying to five the A.A. program I had learned to step back and take a look at myself. I recognized that, although I was not the person I wanted to be, I had learned to not react in my old ways. Those old patterns of behavior only brought sorrow and hurt, to me and to others. I returned to my work station, determined to make the day a productive one, thanking God for the chance to make progress that day.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down