~ AS BILL SEES IT ~

The Beach :: Beach :: AA

Go down

~ AS BILL SEES IT ~

Post  DHF on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 am

~ AS BILL SEES IT ~ (The A.A. Way of Life, Selected Writings of A.A.’s Co-founder) ~

~ Page 240 ~

Hard on Ourselves, Considerate of Others

We cannot disclose anything to our wives or our parents which will hurt them and make them unhappy. We have no right to save our own skin at their expense.

Such damaging parts of our story we tell to someone else who will understand, yet be unaffected. The rule is we must be hard on ourselves, but always considerate of others.

<< << << >> >> >>

Good judgment will suggest that we ought to take our time in making amends to our families. It may be unwise at first to rehash certain harrowing episodes. While we may be quite willing to reveal the very worst, we must be sure to remember that we cannot buy our own peace of mind at the expense of others.

~ 1. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, P. 74 ~
~ 2. TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 84 ~

Copyright © 1967 by Alcoholics Anonymous ® World Services, Inc.

DHF
Admin

View user profile http://whalestail.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ~ AS BILL SEES IT ~

Post  DHF on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:03 am

~ AS BILL SEES IT ~ (The A.A. Way of Life, Selected Writings of A.A.’s Co-founder) ~

~ Page 249 ~

God's Gifts

We see that the sun never sets upon A.A.'s Fellowship; that more than three hundred and fifty thousand of us have now recovered from our malady; that we have everywhere begun to transcend the formidable barriers of race, creed, and nationality. This assurance that so many of us have been able to meet our responsibilities for sobriety and for growth and effectiveness in the troubled world where we live, will surely fill us with the deepest joy and satisfaction.

But, as a people who have nearly always learned the hard way, we shall certainly not congratulate ourselves. We shall perceive these assets to be God's gifts, which have been in part matched by an increasing willingness on our part to find and do His will for us.

~ GRAPEVINE, JULY 1965 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:31 pm

~ Page 252 ~

Alone No More

Alcoholism was a lonely business, even though we were surrounded by people who loved us. But when our self-will had driven everybody away and our isolation became complete, we commenced to play the big shot in cheap barrooms. Failing even this, we had to fare forth alone on the street to depend upon the charity of passers-by.

We were trying to find emotional security either by dominating or by being dependent upon others. Even when our fortunes had not totally ebbed, we nevertheless found ourselves alone in the world. We still vainly tried to be secure by some unhealthy sort of domination or dependence.

For those of us who were like that, A.A. has a very special meaning. In this Fellowship we begin to learn right relations with people who understand us; we don't have to be alone any more.

~ TWELVE AND TWELVE, PP. 116-117 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:28 pm

~ Page 253 ~

"Look Before You Leap"?

"Wise men and women rightly give a top rating to the virtue of prudence. They know that without this all important attribute little wisdom is to be had.

"Mere `looking before we leap' is not enough. If our looking is charged with fear, suspicion, or anger, we had better not have looked or acted at all."

<< << << >> >> >>

"We lose the fear of making decisions, great and small, as we realize that should our choice prove wrong we can, if we will, learn from the experience. Should our decision be the right one, we can thank God for giving us the courage and the grace that caused us so to act."

~ LETTERS, 1966 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:37 pm

~ Page 259 ~

Servant, Not Master

In A.A., we found that it did not matter too much what our material condition was, but it mattered greatly what our spiritual condition was. As we improved our spiritual outlook, money gradually became our servant and not our master. It became a means of exchanging love and service with those about us.

<< << << >> >> >>

One of A.A.'s Loners is an Australian sheepman who lives two thousand miles from the nearest town, where yearly he sells his wool. In order to be paid best prices he has to get to town during a certain month. But when he heard that a big regional A.A. meeting was to be held at a later date when wool prices would have fallen, he gladly took a heavy financial loss in order to make his journey then. That's how much an A.A. meeting means to him.

~ 1. TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 122 ~
~ 2. A.A. COMES OF AGE, P. 31 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:15 am

~ Page 262 ~

Individual Responsibilities

Let us emphasize that our reluctance to fight one another, or anybody else, is not counted as some special virtue which entitles us A.A.'s to feel superior to other people. Nor does this reluctance mean that the members of A.A. are going to back away from their individual responsibilities as citizens. Here they should feel free to act as they see the right upon the public issues of our times.

But when it comes to A.A. as a whole, that's quite a different matter. As a group we do not enter into public controversy, because we are sure that our Society will perish if we do.

~ TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 177 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:28 am

~ Page 263 ~

Fear and Faith

The achievement of freedom from fear is a lifetime undertaking, one that can never be wholly completed.

When under heavy attack, acute illness, or in other conditions of serious insecurity, we shall all react to this emotion—well or badly, as the case may be. Only the self-deceived will claim perfect freedom from fear.

<< << << >> >> >>

We finally saw that faith in some kind of God was a part of our make-up. Sometimes we had to search persistently, but He was there. He was as much a fact as we were. We found the Great Reality deep down within us.

~ 1. GRAPEVINE, JANUARY 1962 ~
~ 2. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, P. 55 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:28 am

~ Page 265 ~

Neither Dependence nor Self-Sufficiency

When we insisted, like infants, that people protect and take care of us or that the world owed us a living, then the result was unfortunate. The people we most loved often pushed us aside or perhaps deserted us entirely. Our disillusionment was hard to bear.

We failed to see that, though adult in years, we were still behaving childishly, trying to turn everybody—friends, wives, husbands, even the world itself—into protective parents. We refused to learn that over dependence upon people is unsuccessful because all people are fallible, and even the best of them will sometimes let us down, especially when our demands for attention become unreasonable.

<< << << >> >> >>

We are now on a different basis: the basis of trusting and relying upon God. We trust infinite God rather than our finite selves. Just to the extent that we do as we think He would have us do, and humbly rely on Him, does He enable us to match calamity with serenity.

~ 1. TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 115 ~
~ 2. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, P. 68 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:43 am

~ Page 268 ~

Those Other People

"Just like you, I have often thought myself the victim of what other people say and do. Yet every time I confessed the sins of such people, especially those whose sins did not correspond exactly with my own, I found that I only increased the total damage. My own resentment, my self-pity would often render me well-nigh useless to anybody.

"So, nowadays, if anyone talks to me so as to hurt, I first ask myself if there is any truth at all in what they say. If there is none, I try to remember that I too have had my periods of speaking bitterly to others; that hurtful gossip is but a symptom of our remaining emotional illness; and consequently that I must never be angry at the unreasonableness of sick people.

"Under very trying conditions I have had, again and again, to forgive others—also myself. Have you recently tried this?"

~ LETTER 1946 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm

~ Page 270 ~

Honesty and Recovery

In taking an inventory, a member might consider questions such as:

How did my selfish pursuit of the sex relation damage other people and me? What people were hurt, and how badly? Just how did I react at the time? Did I burn with guilt? Or did I insist that I was the pursued and not the pursuer, and thus absolve myself?

How have I reacted to frustration in sexual matters? When denied, did I become vengeful or depressed? Did I take it out on other people? If there was rejection or coldness at home, did I use this as a reason for promiscuity?

Let no alcoholic say he cannot recover unless he has his family back. This just isn't so. His recovery is not dependent upon people. It is dependent upon his relationship with God, however he may define Him.

~ 1. TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 50-51 ~
~ 2. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, PP. 99-100 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:58 am

~ Page 279 ~

The Fine Art of Alibis

The majority of A.A. members have suffered severely from self- justification during their drinking days. For most of us, self- justification was the maker of excuses for drinking and for all kinds of crazy and damaging conduct. We had made the invention of alibis a fine art.

We had to drink because times were hard or times were good. We had to drink because at home we were smothered with love or got none at all. We had to drink because at work we were great successes or dismal failures. We had to drink because our nation hadwon a war or lost a peace. And so it went, ad infinitum.

To see how our own erratic emotions victimized us often took a long time. Where other people were concerned, we had to drop the word "blame" from our speech and thought.

~ TWELVE AND TWELVE ~
1. PP. 46-47
2. P. 47

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:54 am

~ Page 284 ~

Faith — a Blueprint — and Work

"The idea of `twenty-four-hour living' applies primarily to the emotional life of the individual. Emotionally speaking, we must not live in yesterday, nor in tomorrow.

"But I have never been able to see that this means the individual, the group, or A.A. as a whole should give no thought whatever to how to function tomorrow or even in the more distant future. Faith alone never constructed the house you live in. There had to be a blueprint and a lot of work to bring it into reality.

"Nothing is truer for us of A.A. than the Biblical saying `Faith without works is dead.' A.A.'s services, all designed to make more and better Twelfth Step work possible, are the `works' that insure our life and growth by preventing anarchy or stagnation."

~ LETTER, 1954 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:59 pm

~ Page 291 ~

Pain-Killer—or Pain-Healer

"I believe that when we were active alcoholics we drank mostly to kill pain of one kind or another—physical or emotional or psychic. Of course, everybody has a cracking point, and I suppose you reached yours—hence, the resort once more to the bottle.

"If I were you, I wouldn't heap devastating blame on myself for this; on the other hand, the experience should redouble your conviction that alcohol has no permanent value as a pain-killer."

<< << << >> >> >>

In every A.A. story, pain has been the price of admission into a new life. But this admission price purchased more than we expected. It let us to a measure of humility, which we soon discovered to be a healer of pain. We began to fear pain less, and desire humility more than ever.

~ 1. LETTER, 1959 ~
~ 2. TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 75 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:23 pm

~ Page 300 ~

People of Faith

We who have traveled a path through agnosticism or atheism beg you to lay aside prejudice, even against organized religion. We have learned that whatever the human frailties of various faiths may be, those faiths have given purpose and direction to millions. People of faith have a rational idea of what life is all about.

Actually, we used to have no reasonable conception whatever. We used to amuse ourselves by cynically dissecting spiritual beliefs and practices, when we might have seen that many spiritually-minded persons of all races, colors, and creeds were demonstrating a degree of stability, happiness and usefulness that we should have sought ourselves.

~ ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, P. 49 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:15 pm

~ Page 303 ~

Loving Advisers

Had I not been blessed with wise and loving advisers, I might have cracked up long ago. A doctor once saved me from death by alcoholism because he obliged me to face up to the deadlines of that malady. Another doctor, a psychiatrist, later on helped me save my sanity because he led me to ferret out some of my deep-lying defects. From a clergyman I acquired the truthful principles by which we A.A.'s now try to live.

But these precious friends did far more than supply me with their professional skills. I learned that I could go to them with any problem whatever. Their wisdom and their integrity were mine for the asking.

Many of my dearest A.A. friends have stood with me in exactly this same relation. Oftentimes they could help where others could not, simply because they were A.A.'s.

~ GRAPEVINE, AUGUST 1961 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:07 pm

~ Page 326 ~

Welcome Criticism

"Thanks much for your letter of criticism. I'm certain that had it not been for its strong critics, A.A. would have made slower progress.

"For myself, I have come to set a high value on the people who have criticized me, whether they have seemed reasonable critics or unreasonable ones. Both have often restrained me from doing much worse than I actually have done. The unreasonable ones have taught me, I hope, a little patience. But the reasonable ones have always done a great job for all of A.A. — and have taught me many a valuable lesson."

~ LETTER, 1955 ~

© 1967 by Alcoholics Anonymous ® World Services, Inc

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:28 pm

~ Page 329 ~

Do It Our Way?

In praying, our immediate temptation will be to ask for specific solutions to specific problems, and for the ability to help other people as we have already thought they should be helped. In that case, we are asking God to do it our way. Therefore, we ought to consider each request carefully to see what its real merit is.

Even so, when making specific requests, it will be well to add to each one of them this qualification: "... if it be Thy will."

~ TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 102 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:24 pm

~ Page 40 ~

Material Achievement

No member of A.A. wants to deprecate material achievement. Nor do we enter into debate with the many who cling to the belief that no satisfy our basic natural desires is the main object of life. But we are sure that no class of people in the world ever made a worse mess of trying to live by this formula than alcoholics.

We demanded more than our share of security, prestige, and romance. When we seemed to be succeeding, we drank to dream still greater dreams. When we were frustrated, even in part, we drank for oblivion.

In all these strivings, so many of them well-intentioned, our crippling handicap was our lack of humility. We lacked the perspective to see that character-building and spiritual values had to come first, and that material satisfaction were simply by-products and not the chief aims of life.

~ TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 71 ~

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:24 pm

~ AS BILL SEES IT, p. 21 ~

The old line says, "Suit up and show up." That action is so important that I like to think of it as my motto. I can choose each day to suit up and show up, or not. Showing up at meetings starts me toward feeling a part of that meeting, for then I can do what I say I'll do at meetings. I can talk with newcomers, and I can share my experience; that's what credibility, honesty, and courtesy really are. Suiting up and showing up are the concrete actions I take in my ongoing return to normal living.

Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services Inc

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down