The Beach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~ Easy Does It ~

The Beach :: Beach :: AA

Go down

~ Easy Does It ~ Empty ~ Easy Does It ~

Post  DHF Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:45 pm

~ Anonymous ~

The amount of time we invested in our addiction over the years was considerable. We spent countless hours feeding our addiction, thinking about feeding it, and trying to recover from the episode. A great investment of time was made.

We need to consider the idea that a tremendous amount of time invested in recovery is a wise choice. This disease of ours has caused deep wounds. Healing will take time. Just because we put the chemical or behavior down does not mean they will put us down. Our Program describes them as cunning, baffling, and powerful. Some old-timers add patient, too.

The point is made in many cases that those that don't spend the time, don't make it. Ours is not a solitary Fellowship. We don't work our Program alone. The meetings we attend are very important to us.

I will put as much energy into my meeting attendance as I once put into my active addiction.

©1990 by Anonymous. All rights reserved. Published by Hazelden.

Last edited by DHF on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

DHF
Admin

https://whalestail.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

~ Easy Does It ~ Empty Re: ~ Easy Does It ~

Post  DHF Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:05 am

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

INTEGRITY

Tell me to live by yes and no: yes to everything good, no to everything bad.

~ William James ~

When we were practicing our addictions, we lost track of what was right and wrong, honest or dishonest. Pride was defended. Anger was justified. Lust was accepted. Gluttony was encouraged. Envy was normal. Greed was there to be satisfied. Laziness was a way of life.

In recovery, regaining our integrity is difficult and confusing. Learning to be honest is hard when we've lost track of our souls. Working the Steps puts us in touch with our Higher Power, who is guiding us back to truth.

We finally come to recognize and rediscover the integrity in ourselves by simply knowing that what is right is what we feel good about and what is wrong is what we feel bad about.

I examine every thought and action to make sure it's right or wrong for me. If I don't feel good about it, I connect it as soon as it becomes clear to me that I've made a mistake. Learning to trust my thoughts and feelings again takes time and practice.

©1990 by Anonymous, Published by Hazelden

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:36 pm

SERENITY

Serenity = Reality = Inner peace and strength.

~ Anonymous ~

Most of us chased an elusive thing called serenity for years. We thought our journeys outside reality brought us peace and serenity. When we returned to reality we found harshness and pain that caused us to run back to using. So it went, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. Run, escape, pain; run, escape, pain.

Then something happened. Our addiction wouldn't let us escape any more. We no longer found what we were' seeking. We tried using more heavily. Finally, all that was left of our lives was the pain.

The Fellowship shows us that reality is not a problem. Trying to escape reality is a problem. When we continued to turn our wills and lives over to a Higher Power, the serenity that results creates a reality of inner peace and strength.

I trust and believe that the changes I am going through in my recovery are necessary and good for me.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:30 pm

OPINIONS

Look for similarities rather than differences.

~ Anonymous ~

By relating our experiences rather than our opinions, we allow the listener to form their own ideas, rather than be placed in a position of having either to agree or disagree with us.

For instance, if we express an opinion that "they should be honest," the listener may be out off.

However, if we tell an experience similar to their problem where honesty worked best for us, we aren't obligating the listener to solve their difficulty the same way. They're not forced into accepting or rejecting an opinion. They're still free to choose to solve their problem whatever way they see fit, and to profit from whatever experience results.

Opinions force me to take sides and "should" on myself and others. By sharing experiences instead of opinions, I am free to grow and to allow others to grow.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:24 pm

SOLUTION

Be part of the solution, not the problem.

~ Anonymous ~

When we were practicing our addiction, we traveled alone. We created short-term friendships with fellow users. These dissolved when the "party was over." Our addiction demanded from us absolute obedience. There could be no intimate friendships. No relationship was more important than the addiction. Any that moved in too close was beaten away by the disease. We were solitary, held hostage in our own prison.

The Fellowship has broken the grip of this isolation. The miracle of recovery is that of men and women sharing their experience, strength, and hope with each other. We are together; we share with each other what we know, what we experience; we rely on each other. The Fellowship is a circle of spiritual vitality that energizes anyone who decides to join hands.

Alone I am the problem. Together with others, I am part of the solution.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:19 am

LEARN TO ASK

I never learned anything talking. I only learn things when I ask questions.

~ Lou Holtz ~

The low self-esteem we had when we began the Program often prevented us from asking questions. It is natural for a newcomer to feel they are not worth the time required of a long-timer to give the advice needed. Many of us were afraid that those with solid recovery would be impatient with beginners.

The exact opposite was true. We realized that the experienced men and women in our Program were able, willing and eager to give us the benefits of what they had learned. Our questions reminded them how far they had come, and they were grateful for the reminder.

It was only after a time on the Program that we came to believe wholeheartedly in the advice that "you have to give it away to keep it." By asking questions, we allow others to keep it by giving away their answers.

It is part of my recovery to admit how much I don't know. Wisdom began when I started asking questions.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:11 am

CHANGES

Change your thoughts and you change your world.

~ Norman Vincent Peale ~

We learn from the Program that all of our lives are made up of changes. Life for us can be like the seasons of the year. The uncomfortable blizzards of winter will pass. Spring brings flowers. Chattering birds fill the air with song where once there was wind, snow, and ice.

We know summer will follow spring. We learn to take the bad with the good. Hardships can make us stronger. Suffering cannot last forever. The key is to see life with optimism. We know that the changing of the seasons is like the changes in our lives.

When we use the Serenity Prayer, we may occasionally lose sight of its meaning. We need to concentrate on the differences between what we can change and what we can't.

I trust and believe that the changes in my recovery life are like the changing of the seasons. They are necessary and good for me.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:30 am

SELF-ESTEEM

Nobody holds a good opinion of a man who has a low opinion of himself.

~ Anthony Trollope ~

We often hear, "It takes what it takes." Recovery works for those who not only want it badly enough but also know the Program will improve their self-esteem if they work at it. We also know that we cannot succeed unless we follow the Steps of the Program and continue to work with others in every way.

To succeed, we have to stop thinking we are less than other people. We tell ourselves we are not unworthy, inadequate, or unable to cope fully with life's problems. We begin to see the glass as half-full, instead of half-empty. We have to get rid of feelings of inability before we can make progress. If we change our thoughts, we change ourselves.

By holding a positive attitude based on an honest and realistic self-knowledge of myself, I will continue to build my self-esteem and have the esteem of others.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:45 am

Respect the anonymity of others.

~ Anonymous ~

The spiritual foundation of our Program is anonymity. In the Fellowship we are not Dan the Mechanic, Mary the New Mother, or Linda the Office Manager. We are just Dan, Mary, and Linda. Each one of us has paid a great price to earn our seat around the tables. There is nothing which has cost us so much as our membership in the Fellowship. The miracle of recovery is what occurs within a meeting when we listen to honest stories of changed lives.

We remember that what makes it work for us is the common bond of our addiction. We are to take what we need and leave all that we hear and see at that meeting. When we respect the anonymity of others, we respect our own.

The people who share with me do so to support their own recovery, not to give me information about themselves. When I protect the anonymity of the Fellowship, I protect my own recovery.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:41 pm

SPOT CHECKS

I'm slipping when I shrink from self-examination

~ Anonymous ~

Working our Program smooths our path to a new way of life. We must keep following the simple instructions outlined in the Steps. One of these is to continue to take a personal inventory and whenever we are wrong, promptly admit it.

When we do this Step each day, mole-hills don't become mountains. If we don't continue with spot-check inventories, we allow garbage to build up once again in our lives. We've seen that a buildup of resentment and guilt can lead to trouble. Stinking thinking thrives on this garbage. If we shrink from self-examination, fear creeps back into our lives. Fear pushes out faith. Without faith we lose our recovery.

My daily spot-check inventory is one of the important things that keeps my Program working.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:59 am

CHARACTER DEFECTS

The only truths we can point to are the ever changing truths of our own experience.

~ Peter Weiss ~

We once wore our character defects like badges of honor. We were comfortable with them. They seemed natural and normal to us. We believed in our defects. We believed we needed them.

The ego of which we were so proud has had to be deflated. When God becomes our primary focus, our character traits are shown to us in a new light. We are able to ask for help from our Higher Power to get rid of the parts of our character that hurt us.

We know that if we are not ready and willing for the help of our Higher Power and our friends, we will not get rid of our character defects.

I must be willing to see myself in a new way and accept myself as I am. That way I can start changing my defects that hurt me and my recovery.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:55 am

FAITH AND TRUST

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation.

~ Anonymous ~

We had only to meet the first person that greeted us in the first meeting we attended in our recovery to know that the Program worked. Our faith in how it works is illustrated for us by the lives of millions of men and women who are recovering.

If we rely on miracles to develop a faith, our Program can be an unlimited provider of them. The real issue for the person in recovery is one of trust, the day-in, day-out, come-what-may trust in a Higher Power. What was discovered by the early members of our Fellowship has been rediscovered time and again in every meeting where members gather to share their recovery: that we can unreservedly trust in God to do for us what we cannot do for ourselves.

I have learned a new meaning to the word faith: trust in a Higher Power, in the Program, and in myself.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:01 pm

GRANDIOSITY

There are none too dumb for the Program, but many are too smart.

~ Anonymous ~

Most of us suffered from some degree of grandiosity. We had inflated egos, were self-centered, stubborn, impatient, head-strong, selfish, and pushy. We liked to think in terms of the "big picture." We liked big deals and big plans. We carried around a feeling that we knew everything, that we were God-like.

If we don't reduce our grandiosity in recovery, we are looking for trouble. When we act like big shots, we only submit to the Program, we don't surrender. We favor negative thinking, hold back from inventories and making amends, make little effort at finding a Higher Power, avoid prayer, neglect finding a sponsor, don't read, and are bored at most meetings.

Today, I'll remember that when I am a big shot and have grandiose thoughts, I don't listen, share, or get involved.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:25 pm

PATIENCE

How poor are they that have no patience.

~ Shakespeare ~

Patience is important to our growth and peace of mind. Without patience, we would have difficulty holding down anxiety, anger, envy, and unreasonable pride. Patience has often prevented disaster threatened by a loose tongue or an impulsive fist. Patience has taught us to stay cheerful in hard times, and to quickly forgive mistakes.

Faith, peace, love, and humility all "study" in the school of patience. We learn patience from nature's careful maturing of crops. Baby chicks are born from letting eggs hatch, not by quickly smashing the shell. We are reminded that time is a faithful servant.

When we set goals that we can reach and are patient with our progress, we save ourselves a lot of anxiety. Happiness is not having what we went, but wanting what we have.

I need to be patient, but I don't have to "grin and bear it." I can accept reality, then take careful, positive action.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:16 pm

SELF-CONFIDENCE

Alas, the fearful disbelief is disbelief in yourself.

~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Self-confidence is an important lesson we learn in our recovery. Most of us start our Program with little confidence in ourselves. As we work the Steps, we begin to be confident that we can be whatever we choose to be, if we want success enough and if we keep on growing.

When we have no faith in ourselves, we have little chance of staying abstinent. Even the miracles of recovery cannot accomplish a better way of living if we don't believe they can. The more we share with fellow members, the greater will be our self-confidence that success is possible.

In order to have and maintain self-confidence, and feel good mentally and physically, we need to keep our heads screwed on straight with clear and rational thinking.

I can be whoever I make myself believe I can.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:25 pm

PRAYER

Prayer is the voice of faith.

~ Horne ~

Prayer is what we do before we act, not after. Prayer is our choice of whose team we are on. Since we no longer take on the job of coach, we listen when we pray. We want to hear the call of each new play. We want to hear our assignment. When it comes time to act, we act according to the plan for us. This kind of prayer helps to bring us results.

When we ask only to do God's will, we cannot fail. Sometimes when we pray, we discover great things are being asked of us. We wonder where we will get the strength and the determination to succeed. Remember, we are never asked for more than we can do. Our Higher Power understands our potential better than we do. Sometimes when we pray we discover our role is different from the one we thought it was.

I have not been the best judge of what is good for me. I trust the answers to my prayers because my Higher Power wants only what is best for me.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:31 am

RECOVERY MASK

It's easy to fool other people. Fooling yourself is a little harder. Fooling God is impossible.

~ Chris Harrison ~

The question often arises in the Pro-gram as to why "so and so" relapsed after time in recovery. The answer is dishonesty. Most of us agree that before we came into the Program, we hid behind a mask and didn't let anyone really know us. Since coming into the Program, some of us hide behind the dreaded "Recovery Mask."

When someone is wearing a Recovery Mask, they deceive others into believing that they're doing well in recovery. The real danger lies in deceiving themselves into believing the same thing. One thing this false image can't live with is truth. It would be helpful for them to ask themselves, "When was the last time I shared what was really going on inside me, in my innermost world, with somebody, my sponsor, or my home group?"

It does me harm to hide behind a recovery mask. If I do, I may relapse because I'm not sharing my experience, strength, and hope, but only my opinions, attitudes and advice.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DHF Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:28 pm

MOVING AWAY

I'm slipping when I begin to dislike the company and conversation of the Program.

~ Anonymous ~

There is a reason why a lamb gets separated from a flock. The flock will be eating on a particular pasture and a lamb will take a fancy to grass just off to the edge of the field. So the lamb takes a little nibble of this grass. Then he moves just ever so slightly further from the edge and takes another little nibble, then just a bit further and another nibble.

Each little nibble of grass takes the lamb further and further from the flock. After a while, having eaten enough grass, the lamb pokes his head up and notices that the flock has left him. B-A-A-A-A-A! the lamb wails. How could his flock have left him?

I will begin slipping when I stop paying attention to my flock. My group will not leave me; I will leave my group. I will leave like the lamb, just one conversation, one meeting at a time. After a while I, too, could end up wailing for help just like the little lamb.

DHF
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down